Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Repair work on Straw bale buildings.

The stained wall

I went to see a customer of mine last month who, for the first time since building his Straw Bale house by the sea in Helsinki 14 years ago has had a leak. This happened in his kitchen, just over the door and left a kind of brown damp stain on the lime plaster finish. These stains were also appearing around his windows on other parts of the house. So after investigating and trying to find the cause for the leak, and discussing the problem with him we came to the conclusion that it was because he had changed the roof tiles about 2 years ago and the new tiles where not put on with great care.



Just over the door

Icicles outside the doors

Close up

Snow melting into the roof

Not good































Let me explain a little more!

The type of tiles he originally he had were clay tiles called Wienerberger which are from Estonia. These are an excellent robust quality clay tile and are normally of very high quality, but my customer was unlucky that he had gotten a bad batch when he first built the house. They lasted for about 6-7 years before decaying on his roof as the where burned to quickly when first made. He then contacted the manufacturer who replaced them under the warranty. Now here is where the problem seems to have started! When the building was first built it was built by a very good team of Straw bale builders who new what to do when covering and tiling the roof, therefore there were no leakage problems in the first years of the houses life. Within one year of the tiles being changed there came a leak, because the roofers were not accustomed to working on a Straw bale house and did not take into consideration that an open gap would cause so much damage. So after checking the roof I noticed that in the spot over where the leak was there were big gaps between the tiles and battens, where melting snow was just flowing in and thus making its way into the bales.

Gap between tile and battens. Needs to be closed!


In the other parts of the house, around the windows, it was not so much the roofers fault as the natures. This house is surrounded by beautiful tall old pine trees which tend to lose there pines straight down onto the roof, therefore blocking up all the little channels and rain pipes which normally leave the rain water and melting snow water away from the window areas. These were totally blocked and needed to be cleaned regularly.

Window details with their channels and pines everywhere
Solutions:
We will solve these problems by repairing the damaged wooden battens under the tiles, replacing the metal cladding between the joining of two roofs with a more efficient model which covers the holes up and by putting copper cladding over the area where these holes are. Also by keeping the roof and around the windows cleaned regularly. We will then re-coat the stained walls inside with white wash and wait until the spring to see does the brown discoloring come back, in which case we will then open this area up from the inside and check the conditions of the bales and repair them, and add new plaster.

Have you had any problems on your Straw bale home that needed repair. Why not comment on what you had to do or send me some info. on how you did it and I can post it here. Its good for all Straw balers out there to know and learn about what to do if there is a problem..

12 comments:

  1. Very well said, now I have the ideas why straw bale stained plus the solution. so great.
    Plastering

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the blog loaded with so many information. Stopping by your blog helped me to get what I was looking for. sửa chữa nhà trọn gói

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very enjoyed for this blog. Its an informative topic. It help me very much to solve some problems. Its opportunity are so fantastic and working style so speedy. how much pressure should be in my well tank

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you because you have been willing to share information with us. we will always appreciate all you have done here because I know you are very concerned with our. Las Vegas

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for this information. I have to let you know I concur on several of the points you make here and others may require some further review, but I can see your viewpoint. dog crate alternatives

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really thank you for the valuable info on this great subject and look forward to more great posts. Thanks a lot for enjoying this beauty article with me. I am appreciating it very much! Looking forward to another great article. Good luck to the author! All the best! Learn more

    ReplyDelete
  7. I admire what you have done here. I like the part where you say you are doing this to give back but I would assume by all the comments that this is working for you as well. Click here

    ReplyDelete
  8. You make so many great points here that I read your article a couple of times. Your views are in accordance with my own for the most part. This is great content for your readers. Home Security Systems

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing blog that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free. Low Cost Reparaçoes

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your blog provided us with valuable information to work with. Each & every tips of your post are awesome. Thanks a lot for sharing. Keep blogging.. roofer Dallas Tx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wanted to thank you for this excellent read!! I definitely loved every little bit of it. I have you bookmarked your site to check out the new stuff you post. renovation contractor

    ReplyDelete
  12. Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting?I have read a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style. Thanks a million and please keep up the effective work. Best soy candles

    ReplyDelete